Problems paying?

Help with council tax payments

There are various ways you can help yourself with paying council tax:

  • claiming Council Tax Support
    If you have already moved onto Universal Credit or soon will be, don't forget you must still claim Council Tax Support from the council. Universal Credit does not include an amount for Council Tax.
  • changing to 12 installments instead of 10
  • working with us to make an arrangement that you can afford in order to pay your bill.

Or you can apply for a Council Tax hardship payment.

Remember that paying by direct debit ensures that your payments are made on time every month. There is a choice of three dates: the 1st, 15th and the 25th of the month.

If you are having any difficulty paying or think you may have difficulty paying in the future please contact us as soon as possible so we may discuss ways of helping you.

We can make an agreement at any time during the year on the way that you pay us in order to ensure that your Council Tax is paid. It is best to contact us and to discuss ways of paying before we issue a summons as this will cost you more money. For more information, please read the what happens if you don't pay page.

You can make a formal arrangement after a summons has been issued. We may ask for details of your income and outgoings to help us assess an arrangement you can afford and keep to.