Noise complaints

Noise is generally unwanted sound. It could be too loud, too intrusive or just happen at the wrong time or without warning. The council can take action where a statutory noise nuisance occurs or is likely to occur.

Noise becomes a statutory nuisance when it could be considered to unreasonably interfere with the use or enjoyment of another property. The noise must interfere with whatever you are doing, and not simply be an annoyance. For example, it would be annoying if your neighbour played music that you disliked. It would become a statutory noise nuisance if they played music so loudly that you could not hear your television or it woke you up at night.

If you are suffering from a statutory noise nuisance the council can take formal action to stop the noise. You can report the following noise problems to the council:

  • noisy neighbours (music, shouting, alarms, DIY at unreasonable hours, dog barking)
  • noise from commercial premises (entertainment, ventilation systems, alarms)
  • noise from industrial premises (factories, construction sites, demolition, alarms)
  • car alarms or loud stereos (only if vehicle is parked).

The following pages also give you further information about noise and how we can help.

Report a statutory nuisance