Local housing allowance

LHA payments

How will my LHA payments be made?

Usually you will have your benefit paid directly to you. It will be paid by BACS straight into your bank or building society account.

If you do not already have a bank or building society account, you may want to set one up. That way you can arrange to pay the rent to your landlord automatically, using a standing order. If you do not have a bank or building society account at the time that you make your claim, we can pay you by Cheque. This will then give you time to open an account.

LHA cannot be paid into a Post Office Card Account like some other benefits.

You can get advice about opening and running a bank account from any bank, building society or credit union. You can also get advice from a welfare organisation such as Citizens Advice. 

It is up to you to pay the rent to your landlord. If you don't pay your rent, you may be taken to court and evicted from the property.

Can benefit be paid direct to the landlord?

Your benefit is paid to you, unless you are likely to have difficulty paying your rent. If you are worried about managing your money, let us know. In some cases we may be able to pay your rent to your landlord The criteria are as follows:

  • We consider that a tenant is unlikely to pay their rent. 
  • We think that a tenant cannot handle their own affairs. 
  • Where a tenant is more than 8 weeks in arrears with their rent.
  • If someone else looks after your money for you or there is a power of attorney, payment can be made to that person.

What will happen if the benefit is used for something else?

Your benefit is for you to pay your rent with. If you do not use your benefit to pay your rent, your landlord may take you to court or try to evict you and you may lose your home. If your rent is higher than the LHA then you will have to make up the difference to avoid getting into arrears.