Application process and waiting lists
There is usually a waiting list for our Allotment sites.
When you apply for an allotment:
- your application will be added to an automated waiting list for the site or sites that you applied for
- the waiting lists work from the date of your application and you will be contacted when your name comes to the top of the waiting list.
It may take several years for your application to come to the top of the waiting list. Please do not contact the Allotments Officer to ask for your position in the waiting list. This takes up valuable time and resources and slows down the allotment service.
It is worth noting that although some sites look like they have vacant plots, these are often plots that have been recently let or are plots that are in the process of being given up by current tenants.
The letting process
Stage 1 - Validate application
- Applications are processed in the order they are received.
- The allotment management database filters applications by Slough postcode only. Non-Slough residents cannot apply.
If you already have an allotment
- We check how many poles you currently have. If you have10 poles or more, we refuse the application and notify the applicant.
- If it is a request to swap plots, we allow the application if the current plot is in an acceptable condition and you have paid the rent.
- The allotment management database keeps all application forms by site and date order. If the first choice is not available, you will be offered another site closest to your home address. If you decline the offer you can remain on the waiting list for the site of your choice.
If you do not have an allotment
- The allotment management database keeps all application forms by site and date order. If the first choice is not available, you are offered another site closest to your home address. If you decline the offer you can remain on the waiting list for the site of your choice.
Stage 2 - Site visit & tenancy agreement
We will contact you when a plot becomes available. If you are no longer interested in having a plot, a note is made on the system and you are removed from the waiting list.
You will receive two weeks to respond to a plot offer. We will contact you by email, phone and post (if you have not provided an email address). After the two week period you will be removed from the waiting list.
View the plot(s)
- A time is arranged to meet on site. You must bring a proof of photo ID and a proof of home address.
- We will show you the available plots and explain site rules.
- If you want to proceed and if you have your ID documents you can be signed up at the same meeting. We will have your personal details from the system, the price list and will give you the gate key.
- If you do not want a plot at all or the plot/plots offered or do not want a plot at the present time, we will record this on the system. You have the option to remain on waiting list until another plot/site is available but offer is delayed on system.
Stage 3 - Payment
- You will be set up as a tenant on our payment system. Customer ID (billing ref) is generated and entered.
- The gate key deposit of £30 and pro rata rent invoice is raised and emailed/posted to you.
- We will check if payment was made in the 2 weeks given to make payment.
- We will add your customer number, key deposit information and the scanned tenancy agreement into the system.