New driver application requirements
- Applicants must be aged over 21 years of age
- Applicants must have held a full UK driving licence for a minimum of 2 years
- Applicants must have the right to work in the UK
- Applicants can have a maximum of 6 penalty points on their DVLA driving licence
- Applicants must meet the Group 2 medical standards.
Criminal convictions, cautions, or any other legal proceedings
The role of the Licensing Authority is to ensure that applicants are fit and proper. All convictions, cautions, pending charges/summons or any other legal action the applicant has been subject too, must be fully disclosed and declared.
If you have any criminal convictions, cautions, or have been subject to any other legal proceedings, please contact the licensing team before making an application. This includes any pending legal proceedings.
The requirements of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 do not apply to the licensing of private hire/hackney carriage drivers. Any conviction, caution or any other matter can and will be taken into consideration when determining whether an applicant is fit and proper.
Training, testing & medical
- Enhanced DBS certificate & registration with DBS Update Service
- Competency test
- Safeguarding training
- Disability awareness training
- Practical driving assessment
- English language test (see explanatory note)
- Medical examination by applicants GP.
English language test
Applicants may be required to take an English language test. This will be to the CEFR B2 standard. Applicants will be advised if an English language test is required at their ID verification appointment.
Private hire vehicle policy
Before making a driver application, please check Slough Borough Councils requirements and specifications for licensing a vehicle.
Please note that you cannot work for UBER with a licence issued by Slough Borough Council. To apply please contact Transport for London (TfL).