New driver application process
- Apply for an enhanced DBS certificate and register the certificate with the DBS Update Service.
- Submit an application form and make payment for the application and the first knowledge test – The required payment is £420 (application and first knowledge test) - applications and payments are then checked and reviewed by the licensing team.
- ID verification appointment – applicants are required to attend an appointment document verification. Only original documents will be accepted. The following is required:
- Enhanced DBS certificate (Certificates must be registered with the DBS Update Service)
- Valid DVLA driving licence
- Valid passport
- Valid visa and share code (where applicable)
- Proof of address (this must be a bank statement or utility bill issued within the last 3 months)
- Proof of national insurance (P60 or P45, any correspondence from HMRC, Department of Work & Pensions).
- Competency test – all applicants will be required to take and pass the competency test. This will usually take place at the ID verification appointment. The test will be based on Slough Borough Council's hackney carriage and private hire policy and general law relating to licensing. Please note: The fee is per competency test.
- English language test – applicants may be requested by officers to take an English test if it is felt they have an inadequate level of spoken English.
- Medical examination – applicants must arrange for a medical examination with their GP surgery. A medical examination form will be given to you at your ID verification appointment. The medical examination form must be no more than 6 months old at the time of submission. Only medicals completed with the Slough Borough Council form will be accepted.
- Practical driving assessment - Contact one of the following assessment providers to arrange an assessment:
- Disability and safeguarding awareness training - The Course must be delivered by an appropriately qualified trainer, either in person or virtually. Please note: Certificates submitted for e-learning courses will be refused and the applicant will be required to re-do and pay for the course in the correct format. Contact this provider to arrange training; fees are set by and paid to the prover:
- Payment & licence issue - Once all the above requirements have been completed, applicants make payment via the online payment system. The licence application will then be processed and your licence will be posted to your home address.
Applicants will need to read the following policies;
Applications that have been inactive for a period of 3 months or more, will be formally rejected. If an applicant wishes to proceed, a new application form will be required, and the process will need to be restarted. You must complete all requirements within 6 months of application, failure to do so will result in your application being rejected and you will have to start again.
We would like to politely inform applicants that the completion of the application process is entirely their responsibility. Officers will not respond to emails that request application updates, the onus is on each individual applicant to update the licensing team once one of the application steps is completed.