Council tenants handbook

Your rent

It is your responsibility to pay the rent on time and in full. This applies if you are paying all or part of your rent from a state benefit like Universal Credit or housing benefit.

Your rent, and any other housing charges, are laid out in your tenancy agreement.

We will increase (or decrease) the amount of rent you pay in line with guidance from the government once a year. We will tell you when your rent changes.

Ways to pay

Direct Debit

You can choose to pay by Direct Debit on the 1st, 8th, 15th or 22nd of the month.


Pay your housing rent through our online payments system.

Automated telephone line

Use your debit or credit card to pay over the phone. Call 0300 456 0480. This is not a free phone number. The cost depends on who provides your phone service, so please check the cost with them directly.

You will need to have your Debit or Credit card and your Rent Payment card. Enter the 11 digit number on your rent payment card.

Telephone or online banking

You can pay your rent by phone or online banking using the following bank details. You must quote your 11 digit number from your rent payment card when making a transaction.

  • Sort code: 30-97-73
  • Bank account no: 00251708
  • Bank address: Lloyds Bank, 123 High Street, Slough, Berkshire, SL1 1EH.

By card

You can pay by debit or credit card at any Community Hub.

Post Office and Payzone

You can also pay your rent at a Post Office or outlets displaying the Payzone bill payments logo. You must have your rent card with you.

Most Payzone outlets will only accept payments in cash. Find your nearest Payzone store.

Standing order

You may wish to pay by standing order. This method can take up to 7 days to reach us so you will need to pay earlier. It is also your responsibility to change your standing order every time your rent changes. This does not happen automatically.

If you like the idea of paying automatically, a Direct Debit might suit your needs better.

Difficulty paying your rent

If you are having difficulty paying your rent, contact us straight away.

We will be able to discuss how you can repay any money that you owe. This could mean negotiating a reasonable repayment plan with you.

We may also be able to offer you advice on how to maximise your income or manage your finances.

You can get independent advice from:

Check if you are entitled to support

If you think you might be entitled to help to pay your rent, it is your responsibility to apply for this. Visit GOV.UK to check if you are eligible for Universal Credit.

Consequences if you do not pay your rent

If you do not contact us to discuss any rent arrears, we will have to take legal action to recover your debt.

You could also be evicted from your home.

It’s much better to contact us as soon as you can to try to avoid any legal action.