What to do about Council Tax in the event of a death

How to contact us

We understand that notifying the Council Tax office when someone has died will take second place to the many other arrangements that have to be made; however, as soon as possible, a relative, friend or solicitor of the deceased should inform the Council Tax office about the death of an occupant of a property.

You can tell us by e-mail at counciltax@slough.gov.uk. Please include your Council tax account number to the subject field as this will speed up a response to your query.

If you are using the Tell Us Once service, Revenue and Benefits Services will be informed without you having to contact us.


If you are the executor of the deceased account please fill in the Council Tax refund application for executors form to obtain a refund. Please ensure all the necessary paperwork has already been submitted including grant of probate to confirm you are the executor. Failure to provide the correct information could result in a delay