Food safety for new food businesses

Starting up a food business

The basic requirements are the same for any new food business. You should follow the below advice if you are setting up: 

  • a catering-from-home business
  • a large manufacturer
  • a mobile food van
  • a small takeaway or restaurant.

Plan ahead

Contact your local authority for advice. You may need to speak with: 

  • food health and safety for advice on health and safety or food hygiene
  • trading standards for guidance on describing the food you sell 
  • licensing if you will be selling alcohol, street-trading, or opening late at night
  • planning to make sure your premises are registered for the correct business use.

Support from us

We offer tailored business support to help businesses save money and get it right the first time. More information is available on the supporting your business page and by contacting the food health and safety team.