Food safety for new food businesses

Food hygiene training

You must make sure all food handlers have training appropriate for the work they do.

The person responsible for developing and implementing the food safety management system must also have training to enable them to do this.

There is no legal requirement to attend a formal training course, although this is usually the most effective way to obtain suitable training.

For people who handle open high risk foods, we recommend the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) ‘Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering course’ or equivalent.

It's important to keep records of any training undertaken, as you will be asked for this by enforcement officers when they visit.

If you do decide to undertake formal training, be careful to use a reputable company. Slough Borough Council run the CIEH level 2 award in food safety in catering course on a monthly basis. More information can be found on the food hygiene training page.