Cookie Consent by

What planning permission or approval is needed

Permitted development

Some projects do not require planning permission. They are what is called ‘permitted development’.

If you are planning an extension to your house, this may be permitted development. Please note that permitted development rights only apply to houses, and do not exist for flats or maisonettes.

If you wish to build an extension under the permitted development rights, you may wish to apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness. This shows that your development is a permitted development.

More information about permitted development can be found on our guidance page.

Please note that some houses are under a restrictive planning condition. This removes the right to build under permitted development, and means you would need to apply for planning permission if you wish to extend your house.

To check if your house is under a restrictive planning condition, please contact us for advice before starting work.

Contact the planning team

Contact the planning team