Cookie Consent by

What planning permission or approval is needed

Common planning applications

The majority of building work requires planning permission. If you are planning a home improvement project, it is likely you will need to submit a planning application.

The government provides guidance on what work requires a planning application. To check if your project needs planning permission, please see the Planning Portals online guidance.

The Planning Portal also offers guidance on common projects such as conservatories, extensions and loft conversions.

Slough Borough Council offers specific guidance on residential extensions in Slough. You can read more about this in our Residential Extension Guidelines.

Slough Borough Council also offers a pre-application advice service to help your proposal get planning permission. Pre-application advice allows a planning officer to informally consider your planning application before it is formally submitted.

If you have any doubt about what permission you need, please contact us for advice before starting work.

Contact the planning team

Contact the planning team