Paying for care in your own home

How do we work out what you have to pay?

Each financial assessment is based on your individual circumstances. To determine what this is, we will look at:

Your income

  • Retirement pension
  • Private/occupational pensions
  • Welfare benefits, but not the mobility part of Personal Independence Payment/Disability Living Allowance
  • Any other form of income, but earned income will not be taken into account.

Your savings and capital

Most forms of savings and capital will be taken into account (but where savings/capital are jointly owned only your share will be used in the calculation), for example:

  • Building society/bank accounts/post office accounts
  • ISAs
  • Bonds
  • Trust funds
  • National Savings certificates
  • Stocks and shares
  • Cash
  • Premium bonds
  • Property, buildings and land (but not the value of the property that you live in).

If you have less than (or equal to) £14,250 in savings/capital these will not be taken into account. If you have savings/capital over £14,250 and up to £23,250, we will add £1 to the total of your income for every £250 you

Your expenditure

Some of your expenditure will be taken into account, including:

  • Disability related expenditure (see below)
  • Mortgage/rent payments
  • Ground rent/service charges
  • Council tax
  • Minimum Income Guarantee (explained below)

Disability related expenditure

If you receive at least one of the following we may be able to deduct an amount you pay from your income:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment
  • Severe Disability Premium
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance.

The financial assessment and benefits officer may be able to take into account some of the additional costs you incur because of your disability or ill health such as: prescription costs; excessive heating or laundry costs; special dietary needs (advised by GP or dietician); purchase, hire, maintenance and insurance of any disability equipment.

Any such costs will be compared to Department of Health and Social Care guidelines and where possible we will apply these to your financial assessment.

You will need to provide receipts for this expenditure.

Minimum Income Guarantee

This is the minimum income that people can live on and is set by central government. It is based on age, disability, and marital status. This amount is disregarded from your income. If your income is below this you will not have to pay for your care.

Deprivation of assets

If the council considers that you, or someone acting on your behalf, have given away some assets to pay less for your care, you will be treated as still owning the asset and you will be required to pay a higher rate. Examples of these assets include money and your house.

Depending on the value of the asset and the remaining assets you hold, this could be the full cost. If you cannot pay these fees, the council will claim the money from the person(s) to whom you have given these assets. Legal action may be taken against yourself and the person in receipt of the assets.