Paying for residential or nursing home care

Financial assessment of your weekly contribution

If you go into a residential or nursing home, whether this is for a short stay or permanently, we will carry out a financial assessment to calculate how much you will have to pay towards the cost of your care. You or your legal representative will be asked to complete a financial circumstances form so we can calculate this.

The rules for deciding whether you qualify for financial support, and how much you are entitled to, are laid down by central government.

You, or your representative, will be asked to provide details and evidence of your income, savings, and property on the form. Our social care charges team will assess and notify you of your financial contribution. Where appropriate, we may also ask a financial assessment and benefits officer to carry out a benefits check, and help you apply for any benefits it appears you may be entitled to claim.

If there is a delay in you providing us with all the financial information we need (for example, if you are waiting to hear from the Department for Work and Pensions), we will give you an estimate of your charge and will tell you what the actual charge is when you supply us with the final details.

It is important that the information you give us is true and accurate to the best of your knowledge. It is an offence to give information that you know to be false, in order to avoid liability for the cost of your care.

Information about you

All information we hold about you will be treated as confidential and will only be disclosed with your consent. The information will be held in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018.

If you do not want to disclose your financial circumstances

If you do not want to disclose your financial circumstances, you will be deemed to have accepted responsibility to pay the full weekly fees.