Please see our coronavirus pages for the latest guidance, how services are affected, and what help is available.

Mutual exchange

Mutual exchange (exchanging your home)

Secure (council) or assured (housing association) tenants have the right to exchange their homes with another council or housing association tenant, with the landlord’s agreement.

For many tenants an exchange can often be a quicker way of moving than applying for a transfer. You can apply to exchange your home by joining HomeSwapper. You can also download a free HomeSwapper app for iOS and Android mobile devices. This gives tenants instant access to their HomeSwapper account for quicker matches and messaging.

HomeSwapper is the mutual exhange solution for tenants and landlords. It's for those in rented council housing or housing association property who want a house or flat swap. HomeSwapper works with various landlords to make it easier to find someone you want to swap your home with, in the area you want to live in.

As a Slough Borough Council tenant, you will be able to register with HomeSwapper free of charge.

  • It's a local and national service.
  • Easy to register.
  • Generates thousands of potential swaps weekly.
  • Matches alerts by email and text.
  • Has a forum to share more information.
  • Has powerful searching.

HomeSwapper is a local and national service to help you find someone to swap your home with. You can also access details of possible exchange partners on a hard copy list which is held at MyCouncil, Landmark Place. 

Next steps

Once you have found someone to swap your home with, please follow the steps below:

Step 1
Arrange to visit each other’s homes.

Step 2
When you have made the decision to swap home, you will then have to contact Housing Services on 01753 475111, option 3, for a mutual exchange application form. You can also download the application form here:

Step 3
You need written approval before you can exchange and you will be given a decision within 42 days. Your exchange can be refused for specific reasons such as:

  • the property is larger than you need
  • you are already under a court order to give up possession of the property; proceedings for possession have begun or we have served a notice of seeking possession
  • the accommodation offered does not meet the needs of you and your family.

You must never make or accept any payment for an exchange with another tenant.

Step 4
When you exchange your home, you are accepting the property in the general standard of repair and decoration that you see it in. If the tenant you swap with has made any alterations to the property, like replacing the bath with a shower, we will not change the items back for you.

Your housing officer can give you more information.

Contact us

Contact Housing Services

01753 475111

Housing Services
Slough Borough Council
Observatory House
25 Windsor Road
Slough, SL1 2EL