Types of anti-social behaviour

Mini motorbikes / off road scooters etc

If a vehicle is used in a manner where it is causing alarm, distress or annoyance to members of the public it can be classed as vehicle-related Anti Social Behaviour (ASB). Examples of this could include: dangerous and anti-social driving on or off the road, vehicles being sold or repaired on the street, dangerously parked vehicles or mini-motorbikes ridden in an anti-social manner.

Motorized vehicles are covered by various regulations under the Road Traffic Act. If these bikes are being ridden illegally or to cause a local nuisance, residents should contact the police by calling the non emergency contact number 101. Police can issue a Section 57 warning initially and can seize the vehicle should the warning not be adhered to.

Ball games

There needs to be a balance between those who want to enjoy peace and quiet in their homes and neighbourhoods, and the need for children and young people to play safely and enjoy the neighbourhood they live in. We want residents to be able to live in their homes without unnecessary disturbance, and we want children and young people to play safely and be part of their communities.

People may complain that ball games are being played in unsuitable areas – perhaps too close to houses, parked cars or roads; that children and young people are making too much noise, too late and when approached they either ignore it or are abusive.

Slough Borough Council will take a neutral, balanced view on the issue of ball games and expect residents to take responsibility within their own neighbourhood and work together to reach a compromise. However, in extreme cases of deliberate nuisance we may use our powers to intervene. We hope that a renewed level of respect prevents further action being taken.

If you do need to report serious nuisance caused by ball games please contact one of the following:

  • Anti-Social Behaviour hotline - 01753 875298
  • Thames Valley Police non-emergency – 101

Graffiti and criminal damage

Graffiti artists come in every shape and manner. Graffiti is not a crime committed by one gender, race or age; making it difficult to profile a ‘typical’ graffiti artist. Graffiti has been used by drug dealers to indicate their territory and locations where they deal. There are many forms of graffiti from “Tagging” to sticker graffiti, up to and including large murals.

Criminal damage and graffiti are criminal offences that not only cause concern to the community as a whole but also have cost implications to the owner. These types of offences are anti social and can give an increased perception that an area is unkempt, which can lead to people assuming there are high levels of anti social behaviour and/or criminal activity.

The Broken Windows Theory states that monitoring and maintaining urban environments in a well-ordered condition may prevent further vandalism or a more serious crime.

Actions residents can take:  

  • report graffiti to the council.
  • work with neighbourhood action groups, police and community wardens to organize a clear up of an area
  • consider diversionary activities and liaise with local groups and youth workers.
  • set up a graffiti project where offenders and or young people in the community could come together and graffiti an authorized area. Consult with the land owner, the Police Crime Prevention Team or the Community Safety Team to set this up.

For more help and advice see our Getting involved pages.


Fireworks are widely used to mark public and private celebrations, as well as traditional events. Whilst adding excitement to occasions, fireworks can also frighten and disturb people and animals, cause annoyance, damage and impact on air quality. The Fireworks Act 2003 introduced a curfew on firework use – between 11pm and 7am with the exception of the following nights where the curfew will begin at different times:

  • November 5th – 12 midnight
  • New Year's Eve – 1am
  • Chinese New Year – 1am
  • Diwali night – 1am.

This curfew is enforced by the Police.

Regular fireworks can still be a noise nuisance and the council may take action if satisfied that a statutory nuisance exists. You can call the Neighbourhood Enforcement Team on 01753 875255.